Monday, October 22, 2012

Buttercream Icing


Adapted from: food.com Recipe # 69633

1 cup butter
1 cup Crisco
2 lbs. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. meringue powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. creme bouquet (optional)
3 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream (more or less depending on the consistency you desire)

Cream butter and shortening until fluffy. Add sugar, meringue powder, and cream, continuing to mix until well blended. Add salt, flavorings, and more whipping cream, if needed, to reach desired consistency. Separate and color with gel food coloring (this keeps the consistency the same).

I love this icing! I have tried many buttercream icings throughout my 25 years of life, and I have to say that this one is my favorite. Being homemade has something to do with it, as I have the ability to make it the consistency what I want. I personally love a thick buttercream, one that I can decorate with and it will stick and hold its shape well. If you find that 3 Tbsp. just isn't enough, feel free to add more (I would add 1 Tbsp., or less, at a time. It's better to be safe than sorry!). I find that it worked perfectly, because I also add the creme bouquet, which changes the consistency a little bit as well. I have only made this buttercream for the White Almond Sour Cream Cake, but I am SURE that it would pair well with just about anything. Chocolate cake, red velvet cake, a shoe.... seriously, it's that delicious. I made these cupcakes for my boss's daughter's birthday, and there was still a ton of batter and icing left over, so Vann had the pleasure of making the rest of these while I was at my parents' house, and he was like a kid in a candy shop. And I have to say he did a really great job! Very proud of the hubs :)

0 barks: