Saturday, March 24, 2012

Green Beans


28 oz. can green beans, not drained
3 tsp. sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp. (about) vinegar
2 beef bouillon cubes
Garlic powder, to taste
Dash of pepper
Dried minced onion, to taste

Combine all ingredients in a pot and allow to simmer on low for at least one hour.

My grandparents always had the most beautiful garden every year in Florence, Alabama. And each year, from that garden, they would can tomatoes, green beans, chow chow, etc. I remember the 3 bottom rows of their pantry being full of canned vegetables from their garden. By far, those were the absolute BEST vegetables I have and ever will eat. Out of all of the amazing things that my grandmother used to make (she has just gotten to the point where she can't cook anymore, but she's alive and kickin'!), her green beans were a staple. In fact, whenever I cook green beans, it makes me think of my grandmother and grandaddy back at their old house, and that is a wonderful memory to have! Although you can't beat fresh veggies, I tend to always have store-bought canned vegetables in the pantry at all times. Now, I will say, adjust the sugar and vinegar to your liking. I allow my green beans to simmer for a really long time, and all of the flavors are just absorbed. It is delicious. I will never be able to make green beans taste the way that my grandmother did, because hers will always reign supreme, but these are super awesome, I must say!

0 barks: