Thursday, January 26, 2012

Taco Salad


1 lb. ground beef
1 small pkg. white rice (we use Great Value boil in a bag)
1 pkg. Taco Seasoning with Cheese
1 can Rotel tomatoes with chilis, drained
Dash of milk
Tortilla Chips
French Dressing (or whatever dressing you prefer)
Diced tomatoes
Diced onions
Shredded lettuce
Shredded cheddar cheese
Jalapenos

Brown beef in a pan; drain fat. While beef is cooking, prepare rice according to package directions. To the beef, add taco seasoning and a dash of milk, stirring until mixed together well. Add Rotel, and allow beef mixture to simmer so tomatoes and chilis can warm. (At this point, you can also add some shredded cheese and even a couple slices of American cheese if you wish. We did this the last time we made it and it was wonderful!) To assemble (there is no particular order): Crush desired amount of tortilla chips on a plate. Top with beef, rice, cheese, dressing, and any other toppings you prefer. Mix together. Enjoy!!!

When I was younger, I remember having this dish what seemed like once a week. To me, it is comfort food in the simplest form. I even remember always being so excited when my Mom made this. I don't know why, I just absolutely loved it, and still do! Cheap, easy, and quick to throw together, this is a dish that we now have at least twice a month. I know what you're thinking. "That looks disgusting." Quite understandable. Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with a clever way to make this dish scream delicious. But I promise you, it is! Vann had never eaten Taco Salad before we met, and it was even a couple of years after we were together that I even thought about making it. Once he tried it, though, he was hooked and I was so glad to have it back in my life! And I know that French dressing seems like an odd topping to include in the mix, but it is so good! Vann prefers Taco Bell's Creamy and Bold Spicy Ranchero, which is equally as delicious, so don't feel limited with the dressing options! I have even put both on my salad and it is wonderful. This recipe is perfect for just the two of us, so if you have more mouths to feed, I would definitely double it. This is one that is nice to have when you've had a long day at work, come home starving, and just want something quick and delicious to throw together. Unfortunately that is us almost every night....so....that's why we have it often! Ha! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

0 barks: